These subs have been dubbed Italian YUM subs in our home. Everyone in the family loves them and I can’t make enough! My mom made a similar sub once upon a time and I fell in love with the hot and crusty bread wrapped around the melty cheeses and lovely bacon and sausage flavors. It’s super simple, but there is nothing simple about the taste! It is all sorts of layers of goodness.
I love to pair these with some yummy gelato, because the “hot and the cold are both so intense, put them together it just makes sense!” Seriously though, in this case it is absolutely true. Pick up a carton of your favorite flavor of gelato at the store and serve with some cute gelato cups and spoons. 🙂
These are perfect to make for parties and cut into smaller pieces for appetizers. Cut into larger pieces and you have dinner or lunch for the family. I love all subs, and try not to put one above another, I mean come on! There’s meatball and marinara, turkey bacon avocado, cheese steak and just about any other deliciousness that you can put between two pieces of bread…but this somehow transcends on some level. Melty, gooey, crunchy, creamy, spicy, comforting deliciousness…in other words YUM!For even more Italian fun, set up an Italian Soda Bar for your friends and family. What is your favorite Italian sub?
Italian Yum Sub
- Long loaf of take and bake Italian bread
- 1 8oz box of neufatchel or cream cheese
- 2 Tbs butter
- Poppy Seeds
- 1 lb. sausage
- canadian bacon
- provolone or other sliced white cheese of your choice
- Cut bread lengthwise in half leaving hinge
- Brown sausage
- In small bowl mix together melted butter, softened cream cheese and poppy seeds (I just put in as much as looks good-maybe about a tablespoon?)
- Spread cream cheese mixture on both halves
- On top half, place your cheese all the way across
- On bottom half, place your canadian bacon all the way across
- Pour the sausage in the middle all the way across
- Wrap entire sandwich in heavy duty foil
- Bake sandwich in oven at about 350 for about a half hour or until bread is crusty and cheese is all melty
- Cut into 2-4 inch sections, and wrap bottom half of each section with the foil that the sandwich was baked in-then you don’t need plates!
Yield: 6-8 servings