Learn how to make a super easy DIY ninja costume, that is a perfect last minute Halloween costume idea for your boy!
These DIY ninja costumes are one of my most favorite, and easiest tutorials to date.
If your boy(s) are super into Ninjas like mine are…especially after LEGO Ninjago movie came out, then they will love this costume, and you will love how easy it is to put together! A DIY ninja costume? Easiest thing ever! If you have a pair of solid sweats and some fabric strips you’re more than halfway there! My boys had long sleeve shirts and since I was buying fabric for the strips anyway I figured I would just sew them some simple pants rather than buy them sweats.
You will also need a Ninja Hood, but if you don’t have time to buy one, I’m sure you can just wrap some fabric around their head, leaving only their eyes exposed.
- Ninja Hood
- Ninja Weapons (totally optional of course!)
- Long sleeve t-shirt in color of choice
- Sweat pants or make your own pants using steps below
- Strips of stretchy coordinating fabric to tie around various parts of the costume. I would go with a spandex, tshirt material or rayon, something with some stretch.
This is how I make my kids pajama pants out of sheets, how I made the scrub pants for the doctor costume and how I made piles of pants for my daughter’s American Girl Doll. You can easily adapt this for any size if you just have a pair of pants that fit the person you are making them for.
DIY Ninja Costume or How to make super easy pants
- Fold your fabric and your pants length wise. Place your pants on the fabric with the crotch* of the pants facing away from the fold, and the legs lining up with the fold of the fabric. (*crotch is an ugly word).
- Cut around pants leaving a seam allowance on all sides, including a little extra space on top for waistband, and a little extra room on the bottom for the hem. Cut a second piece exactly the same way.
- Open your pieces of fabric and lay them on top of one another right sides facing. Pin the crotch and sew the crotch only on both sides all the way up to the top of the waist.
- Open your fabric with the crotch seams in the middle (see how they resemble pants now?)
- Sew up the legs on both sides (if you are making these for a small doll or smallish person, you will want to sew the hem in the pants before this step, or heaven help you try to do it after the legs are all sewn up!)
- Roll the waistband down and sew all the way around, leaving a small opening.
- Cut your elastic to the size that will fit around the waist comfortably and a tiny bit extra for overlapping. Use a safety pin to thread elastic through waistband.
- Overlap the ends of the elastic and pin on either side, sew elastic into pants, and sew up the hole that you left for the elastic.
- Hem the pants (I totally skipped this step on these pants since I am just wrapping them up with strips of fabric and I got a knit fabric that doesn’t fray).
For the costume, just tie a belt on and strips around their arms and legs, gave them each a weapon and let them loose.
There’s a lot of hi-ya’in around these parts at the moment…beware of the ninja brothers!
Latest posts by Tiffany (see all)
- Elf Quote Christmas Cheer Gift Idea with Free Printable - December 11, 2018
- Flipping Love You Gift Idea-Best Neighbor Gift Ideas - December 11, 2018
- Friend or Neighbor Blanket Gift Idea with Free Printable Tag - December 11, 2018
- Chips and Salsa Neighbor Gift - December 10, 2018
- Come Follow Me 2019; Family and Individual Printable Study Helps - December 5, 2018