Coconut Syrup you can make in less than 5 minutes and not have to fly to Hawaii to get (although that would be a great excuse every time you wanted coconut syrup…which in our family is at least once a week)!
When you are born in Hawaii, have relatives on almost every island, visit just about every year and can hula dance you better like coconut everything…especially coconut syrup. Even my non-coconut loving husband loves this syrup, and that in itself, speaks volumes for this syrup. However, I believe in equal opportunity when it comes to your food choices so I’m giving you non-coconut loving friends out there an alternative flavor to use that is just as good…keep reading to find out what it is!
What I love about this recipe is that it is easy, fast, packed with flavor. Leftovers can be stored away in the fridge and reheated for a moment of weakness…I mean another day. Actually for those weak moments, mine occur about 3:00-4:00 pm EVERY DAY, just grab a straw or a spoon and have a coconut syrup party. It does wonders for the soul.
It’s also perfect to bottle up and give away as a gift (for those of you looking for a quick neighbor Christmas gift as we speak).
Most importantly it’s the perfect addition on top of pancakes (traditional and German), waffles, French toast, crepes, brownies, ice cream, cake, muffins…get the idea?
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup butter milk
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp coconut extract (for non coconut lovers use almond extract instead)
- In a medium* saucepan combine butter, sugar and butter milk and stirring occasionally bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and with a small whisk stir in baking soda and coconut (or almond) extract. This will foam up quite a bit. This is normal. Cool slightly and serve.
*Use a larger saucepan than you think you need because when you add the baking soda it will foam up and you don’t want it to run over the edge while on the stove. Trust me, I speak from first hand experience. Learn from my mistakes.
Additional topping suggestions:
We often serve our coconut syrup with sliced strawberries, shredded coconut and whipped cream.
Other delicious breakfast recipes to try!
Latest posts by Tiffany (see all)
- 6 Totally Cute Surprise Ball Gift Ideas - August 8, 2018
- Shark Surprise Ball with Free Printable - August 6, 2018
- Sunshine Gift Tags Free Printable - June 26, 2018
- Patriotic Party featuring Peanuts - June 22, 2018
- 5 Totally New Cute Teacher Appreciation Printable Gift Ideas - April 24, 2018