Clean Microfiber the Easy Way

Effective way to clean microfiberOkay, so seriously! Who thought it was a brilliant idea to have microfiber on dining room chairs? When I first saw them, I loved them and thought they couldn’t possibly be that hard to keep clean. I couldn’t have been more wrong. They are taller chairs so the kids touch the cushions to climb up on them and they always have something on their hands. The slightest bit of moisture gives them horrible water looking spots. They look terrible ALL THE TIME!

I have seen tutorials on how to clean microfiber, but when you use these chairs 3 times a day you really can’t spend that kind of time cleaning them! Microfiber on dining room chairs is about as bad as carpet in a dining room. A room that is used for eating should not require constant carpet cleaning or extensive chair cleaning.

I had to come up with a better way! So I tapped into my inner Greek and pulled out the trusty bottle of Windex (note: I have no affiliation with Windex, they have no idea who I am, but as much as I use this blue bottle they really should), and a scrub brush. Check out this cleaning system that I now have… you can add Windex and two of your other favorite cleaners from SC Johnson into one convenient spray bottle! Just twist it. :)

Clean-Microfiber-with-Windex

I keep the chairs wiped down throughout the day and then after dinner I do my cleaning. I spray each chair with Windex, not soak the chair mind you, just spray until the whole cushion has been spritzed. Then I take my scrub brush and brush out the spots. Then I brush the fiber all in one direction and tuck the chair back up under the table. They dry fairly quickly if you don’t soak them, so it doesn’t have to be at night. I just like to have my house clean before I go to bed and that includes the chairs!

Cleaning-Micro-Fiber-with-Windex

Easy peasy and really only takes me a few extra minutes to get nice clean, good as new chairs. Sometimes I have to put a little extra Windex and elbow grease into a spot, but that’s not too hard, and it beats the alternative.  I step back and admire my work and realize that I don’t hate the microfiber after all. I still don’t think it’s a great idea on a dining room chair, but an easy way to clean them like this, makes it a little more tolerable.

Similar Posts:

Don't miss a single cute post! Enter your email here;

The following two tabs change content below.
Tiffany is a stay at home mom to four ridiculously cute kids and wife to one smoking hot Mc Dreamy lookalike. She loves photography, chocolate chip cookies and sunshine. She is the founder of Making the World Cuter, a site committed to doing just what the title states; Making the world cuter, one kid, photograph, outfit, yummy treat or crafty thing at a time.

Latest posts by Tiffany @Making the World Cuter (see all)

Comments

1. Michele Villano says

I can’t wait to try this on my COUCH! The spots on my microfiber couch are horrid, and with 4 kids it’s SO hard to keep clean! I wait for warm days to do the steam vac, but it’s SO much work! Thank you!

2. says

Thank you so much! This really works. My sofa is a light microfiber and this is cleaning it beautifully. Between the dogs, the grandkids, and my husband eating his breakfast every morning on the arm of the sofa I didn’t think it would ever be clean. The first cushion and the arm on his side look so good. Going to complete it this week!

Dona
    Dona Reynolds recently posted…THIS AWESOME GIVEAWAY STARTS MONDAY!My Profile

3. Michelle says

I have spent HOURS the last 2 days cleaning a cushion on my microfiber couch. My last ditch effort was a brush and it worked ok. I am totally going to try Windex with it! I hope it works! BTW, I also bought some “lovely” bar stools that had microfiber and they were an utter nightmare. I hated them because they always looked awful no matter what I did! I finally recovered them with some really nice, thick vinyl and I am the happiest person around! Thanks for the tip… and I will NEVER buy microfiber ANYTHING again!!!

4. Courtney C. says

I love the brush Idea, I use a mix of white vinegar and a cleaning rag (I’m gonna try the brush though) the vinegar works like a charm (I have 3 little ones who climb up on our chairs as well and I worry about them getting chemical cleaner residue on little hands)

5. Lindsey says

I just purchased a microfiber couch. I have 3 beautiful girls & 2 dogs (learning they are no longer allowed on the couch). I just happened,to come across this :-)… I was wondering though if you have only used the regular Windex? I have the multi surface bottle & was wondering if you had tried that one at all?

6. Ash says

Just so you know regular dawn dish soap and hot water work just as well! A little less expensive when you have to clean them so many times a day or week!!

7. Courtney O says

Just tried this! Worked really well so far! I have a 3 1/2 yr old and a 1 1/2 yr old who LOVE to make messes

8. Beverly says

I do have one question. Since you spray the dirt with Windex and then you scrub the dirt & Windex with a brush, are you removing the dirt or actually just spreading it around? If it’s the latter, I would think that each time you use this procedure, the color would turn darker. I may be wrong, but just an observation.

• says

The color never got darker on my chairs, I don’t know why it works but it does. I think because most of the spots that get on the microfiber are not actually dirt, but wet spots that dried like that. Microfiber is just such a finicky fabric. If you can take it off and wash it like on a pillow, it’s great…for dining room chairs? Not so much. Thanks Beverly!
      -Tiffany
      Tiffany @Making the World Cuter recently posted…Back to School | School Room Handprint Tree ArtMy Profile

9. Amanda says

I was wondering if you had possibly tried this on different colored microfibers as well? I have red microfiber couches.

10. Ashley says

Hi Tiffany! Thank you so much for sharing. I have ivory microfiber chairs in my kitchen and they are so dingy from dark jean prints and dirty fingers :( do you think the windex will remove the dye from the jeans?

11. Karie says

This didn’t work for my seaform microfiber couches!? I was really trying to find something that worked! I’ve tried the proxide, vinager, steam clean and now this! I have two dogs and a 2 year old. The stains aren’t that old?! It looks good when I sprayed the windex and rubbed it but when it dries the stains are still there!!! Idk what I did wrong.

Trackbacks