I came up with this recipe the day after Halloween when my husband and kids were stuffing their faces with candy bars full of refined sugars and artificial ingredients that I wasn’t about to allow pass my lips…but at the same time feeling a little blue that I wasn’t eating those delicious Almond Joy bars that my kids turned their noses up at. I really haven’t missed eating sweets all that much, but fill my house with candy and it was hard not to miss them, at least a little.I have made these a few times, and everyone loves them…the problem is I don’t ever write anything down when I am making treats for myself. I just throw things that sound good at the moment into the food processor and hope for the best. So they always turn out a little different, but they always turn out a lot delicious.What I’m saying is, it’s not rocket science! If you want them a little sweeter add more dates, if you want them a little more like a delicious protein bar add a little more almond butter and less dates.
Dates have become my kids and I’s favorite thing-I never even had a date until a couple months ago, and seriously! Who needs candy? They are sticky little yummy morsels of natural sugar. If you’re a little hesitant to try them on their own, definitely try them as a sweetener in a dessert like this one. You will love the results!
Chewy Chocolate Coconut Bars
- 1 1/2 c. pitted dates (Costco sells a large bag for around five bucks)
- 1 c. Unsweetened Coconut
- 1/2 c. Melted Coconut Oil (Costco sells a big tub, at a great price, I use it for EVERYTHING-coconut oil is the best!)
- 1/2 c. Almond Butter (Again, Costco has a great deal on a GOOD almond butter)
- pinch sea salt
- 1/2 c. Melted Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips
- Grease an 8×8 pan
- Add all ingredients except chocolate chips to food processor and pulse a few times.
- Turn it on and let it mix until it is smooth to your liking. I don’t mind a little texture, but my husband prefers it completely pureed, totally up to you.
- Press mixture into the greased pan and put in the freezer for a few minutes to harden.
- In the mean time melt chocolate chips
- When bars are chilled and hard, spread chocolate on top, it will immediately start to harden.
- Put back in the freezer until hardened completely.
- Cut into squares and keep in an airtight container in fridge or freezer…if you don’t eat them all first.
Latest posts by Tiffany (see all)
- Free Tribe Valentine Cards Printables - January 10, 2017
- Happy Birthday Wishes and Goals 2017 - January 4, 2017
- Kid Friendly New Years Eve Party - December 23, 2016
- Coconut Syrup Neighbor Gift Idea with Free Printable Tag - December 14, 2016
- Making the World Cuter Christmas Housewalk Tour 2016 - December 9, 2016