Making your child’s Halloween costume? Need to sew something for your daughter’s next dance recital? Want something special for your little one to wear for family photos? Have you considered a tutu? These beautiful, gauzy creations are more versatile than you may think.
Follow these steps and you’ll have a tulle tutu skirt sewn up in minutes…
- 6 yards of tulle
- thread that coordinates with the tulle
- 3/8 inch elastic
- one safety pin
- sewing machine
1. Lay the tulle out to itsfulllength. It should be a double-layered rectangle that is six yards long. Fold the tulle in half bringing the two shorter ends together. Fold it in half a second time bringing the shorter ends together again. The fabric should now be a rectangle that is 1 1/2 yards in length. Fold the fabric in half one final time, but bring the longer sides together this time. Now you have one long side of the rectangle with a folded edge and the other long side of the rectangle with raw edges. Tip: I would recommend having someone help you correctly fold the fabric. Tulle can be a little tricky to work with. On the long folded side of the rectangle, measure one inch from the edge and fold the tulle over on itself. Use a pin to secure the fold.2. Continue measuring, folding, and pinning this same edge in order to create a waistband that is one inch wide.3. Once you have secured the one inch waistband with pins, you are ready to start sewing. Sew along the entire inside edge of the waistband being careful to sew through all of the tulle layers. Depending on the tulle and your machine, you may need to lift the foot of your sewing machine from time to time in order to reposition the fabric. Sew down the entire length of the waistband. If the tulle skirt is measuring too long for your little one. This would be a great time to trim the bottom raw edge of the tulle which is the side opposite from your waistband.
4. Use the chart below to cut an appropriate length of the 3/8 inch elastic.
Attach a safety pin to one end of the elastic in order to feed it through the tube created by sewing the waistband. Be sure to hold tightly to the tail end of the elastic while threading the lead end through the waistband. Once you have threaded the elastic all the way through, remove the safety pin, overlap the two ends of the elastic, and use a zig zag stitch to sew the two ends together. Evenly distribute the gathers of tulle around the elastic. Now you have created a cute tutu for your little ballerina to dance and twirl in.
Latest posts by Tiffany (see all)
- Mermaid or Fisherman Gender Reveal Party - March 15, 2017
- St Patrick’s Day Printable Set | So So So Lucky to Have You - March 13, 2017
- Super CUTE St Patricks Day Mantel Ideas - March 7, 2017
- Easy Dinner Idea! Buddha Bowls to Satisfy Everyone - March 1, 2017
- 5 Tips on How to Decorate with Tiered Trays - February 11, 2017