As most kids out there in American households…my children have an overabundance of playthings.
One of my biggest pet peeves is when my kid’s rooms aren’t picked up, and at the same time I want them to have a lot of different toys to stimulate their minds…and of course have fun with. But realistically how can I expect my 5 and 3 year old to keep clean hundreds, if not thousands of toys (between Lego’s, potato heads, action figures etc…yes I bet there are thousands)? The answer is I can’t. At least without going completely insane! I know a lot of parents do the toy rotation thing, I just wanted to throw my way out there too, just in case it inspires someone to do the same. I took one day when the kids were all otherwise engaged and I went up with totes and boxes. I organized everything into those boxes and totes into groups.The groups I ended up with where;
- Little People
- Cars (and the toys that go with them-such as the race ways)
- Balls & Beanbags (and the games that go to them-like the beanbag toss)
- Building Toys
- Stuffed Animals & Puppets
- Mega Blocks
- Random Fun Toys-(this category includes potato heads, action figures, animal figures etc…)
As soon as I find they start asking to watch more videos or play Nintendo more than usual because they are bored…I pull out a new box, throw all the old stuff in it and then dump a different set out in the middle of the floor.
Then they just jump in like it’s Christmas and get to playing.
Sometimes I ask their opinion of what they would like next but mostly I just surprise them with a new pile of toys on their floor on random days when I get the urge to be super nice…to them…and myself.
I get HOURS of uninterrupted time on toy change day!
What do you think of toy rotation? Have you tried it? What are you doing to make your world a cleaner place?
Latest posts by Tiffany (see all)
- Free Tribe Valentine Cards Printables - January 10, 2017
- Happy Birthday Wishes and Goals 2017 - January 4, 2017
- Kid Friendly New Years Eve Party - December 23, 2016
- Coconut Syrup Neighbor Gift Idea with Free Printable Tag - December 14, 2016
- Making the World Cuter Christmas Housewalk Tour 2016 - December 9, 2016